Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Buzz off!

I have a hummingbird feeder outside my family room door and I can see it when I'm at the computer. I try to make sure there is food in it all the time so the lovely hummingbird family, male and female, get used to it being there and will hang out in the area. The interesting thing about the male is how super protective he is about the food! Here is this large feeder with more juice in it than he could ever possibly drink in a lifetime and all he does every day is hang on a neighboring branch and dive bomb any other hummingbirds that might happen upon the feeder. Scarcity mentality! Really, there is enough to go around...
The other day, he was double teamed by two males. One flew in to distract him and when he flew off to drive the guy away, the second bird flew in and got his fill. They then reversed the dodge and the first fellow got to drink. Very clever. "They're organized, I know it." (Chicken Run, the movie)

No comments:

Post a Comment