Monday, July 5, 2010

Where Does the Time Go?

This grand experiment called my blog is being neglected by me. I don't know what is blog worthy and what isn't. I find that the sharing down to one's toenail clippings is way too much information and yet I can't decide what is appropriate to share. I guess the bottom line for me is to make a decision regarding what I want to share and stick to that. I still wonder why on earth someone would want to know what I'm thinking about.
So, we just celebrated Independence Day yesterday and it got me thinking about the Founding Fathers and their contribution to the endeavor. I'm reading the book, "Revolutionaries" by Jack Rakove and it's a facinating look at the men who were in the forefront of the fight for independence.
I don't know about you but I was taught that the founding fathers were this group of cohesive men, icons really, all together on the same page, good Christian, God fearing men, united in the cause. What hooey! Politics is politics and these guys were no different than the ones we have in government today. Well, except for the powdered wigs. They were all over the place regarding the fight for independence, some moderates, others wanting to stay loyal to the crown and still others were radical firebrands. These were men, products of the European Age of Enlightenment, who fought against each other almost as much as they fought against the British.
And, most of these men were not the "good Christians" that the right wing conservatives would have us believe they were. But more on that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment